January 03, 2011

Statement of Intent

Every New Year, numbers of people make resolutions. And while the intentions of these resolutions are good and pure, most of them never come into fruition. I have to admit that I generally fall into this category. Year after year I sit and think about what my resolution should be, how I should improve myself, my world, my relationships. A few years ago, instead of a resolution, I created an epic bucket list. I decided that instead of a yearly resolution, I would just attempt to check off at least one item per year on this extensive list. Not to brag, but so far, I’m doing pretty well.
Well this year is no different and I’m aiming to check off a biggie. I want to finish a novel. This isn’t totally random, as many people hope to do this in their lifetime. While I may not be the best writer (and I apologize in advanced for that) this is not actually my biggest problem. My problem lies in the fact that I get distracted. It’s a family problem really. I come from a long line of women who attempt to multitask and along the way get super side tracked from the end goal.
That’s where this blog comes into play. I figured a blog would keep me motivated and on track to finish this book within a year. I’m not going to stress out if it’s not exactly a year, but it’s a start with a timeline. Whether or not anyone reads this, I’ll have motivation to finish and get enough material in to put a book together.
So what is this blog about exactly? Well it’s my book of course. To give a brief synopsis, it’s like Sex and the City meets David Sedaris. It’s a series of short stories that make up the sad and quite amusing nature of my love life. This compilation of stories is not intended for anything other than pure amusement. I am in no way trying to preach or divulge you into my own self pity.  I am actually quite happy with my life. It took me a while to get to this point and I am merely sharing my stories. This is really no different than a sharing of stories in the ladies’ bathroom in a crowded bar on a Saturday night. I also have to say that these are not the full stories. It's a outline of the final book; a way for me to get my thoughts and stories in order.
Before anyone begins to read this medley of stories I would just like to say sorry to all the men involved. If any of you happen to be reading this blog and are offended by it, well, deal with it. I had to deal with you. This was not written to “slam” any of the fine male species I have dated. It is just merely my memory of certain situations, with humor added of course. Remember: no one should ever take any story at face value as there are always two sides to the story (though most of the stories in this book are fairly accurate).
To further protect the men of the stories, none of their names are used and my name and email address (which should be invisible, but you never know with technology) were made up specifically for this blog. That’s correct; none of the names are real. But with the fake names, hopefully you’ll be able to place yourselves in the stories and experiences.
So here goes nothing… let the year of writing begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment