January 04, 2011

The Licker: Part One


I guess we must start from the beginning. So very long ago it seems now and funny to think at one point I’d never really quite get over it. I am the first to admit, I was wrong.  I was fifteen. I had never been kissed, never asked out. I was an ugly duckling; awkward and gangly with braces, freckles, and acne for miles. Not to mention some very large bushy eyebrows (hey don’t judge, I was a child of the eighties). Oh I was quite a looker. How any male could find me attractive, I’m still unsure. However, one did.
His name will remain unknown to you that are reading. But I will refer to him as “The Licker”. Keep reading and you will see why.
Now going back to my story, I met this boy in Middle School. He was only there for a year before he transferred to another school. When I first met him I thought he was quite cute for your average sixth grader, however, he was extremely shy. We talked some everyday but nothing serious and I never really thought there was anything more than a friendship. He switched schools and I hadn’t seen or talked to him for almost three years until one glorious day, he instant messaged me. It was a very joyous day for me. Now of course, I don’t remember what was said but from what I do remember it was sweet romantic nothings.
 We started talking almost every day and sometimes even multiple times a day. I remember running home to get on the computer in hopes that he would get online too. And of course, I spent hours simultaneously on the phone with my friends, going over what I should say versus what I shouldn’t say. We analyzed his every response and I tried to figure out how to appear very calm and relaxed about this whole flirting thing, which was all too new to me.  And then it happened.
I came home from school, hopped online and there he was. He seemed to be waiting for me, how romantic!  That day, he asked me to the movies. I, of course, said yes. This was going to be my first date!
I hadn’t seen him since the 6th grade but I was convinced it was love. We were sophisticated freshmen after all. So sophisticated that we had our moms drive us to the local mall were we’d meet up for the movie.
My mom insisted on meeting him. I love my mom and I fully understand why she wanted to meet him now, but back then I thought she was crazy.  I was terrified he wouldn’t show. Or even worst, he wouldn’t be able to find my mom’s car outside and think I stood him up. Thoughts were racing through my head. It seemed like an eternity waiting for him. Finally, I saw him walk through the door. I suddenly became even more nervous and had an overwhelming desire to throw up the contents of my stomach. I opened the car door and my mom made a sound. It was the “don’t be in such a rush, make him work for it” noise. I sat still and he came up to the car. My mom leaned over me and stuck her hand out. She introduced herself and then asked what movie we were seeing. Today, I don’t remember the movie. I don’t think I actually watched anything because I was so nervous.
We went to the movie; he paid as all gentlemen do and it was a good date. Notice how I said “good” here, not great or wonderful, but good. Getting the cute, shy boy to talk was difficult especially since I, myself, had not yet discovered the wonders of talking to people.  But we didn’t have to talk in the movie so it wasn’t terrible. And after the movie, the date ended; no kiss, no hug, just ended.
I was terrified he hadn’t had fun and I would lose my wonderful Instant Messenger pen pal. Once again, I ran home and called my friends and had them help me analyze everything that happened during the movie. Our analysis was inconclusive. I would just have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment