January 13, 2011

First Class Frank: Part One



It was my friend, Elizabeth ’s birthday and she was having a boy/girl sleepover. It was a very exclusive party and I was excited to have gotten an invite. Especially because Elizabeth and I were on again/off again recently. But I made it and so far it wasn’t too bad.
 There was a guy there who I’d never met before. He didn’t go to our high school but I’d heard about him. He went to a private school and we had a few good mutual friends. I wasn’t quite sure how they knew each other and actually, I’m still not really sure. For the purposes of our story we will call him First Class Frank and you will see why if you keep reading.
The group decided to go to Blockbusters to get a movie. I was divided into a car with my best guy friend, Stephan, and First Class Frank. Obviously, First Class Frank had a first class car. It was his pride and joy, and Stephan wanted to drive it. So we took the long route to Blockbuster. I sat in the back grabbing the door handle for dear life as we zoomed in and out of all the back road curves.
By the time we got to Blockbuster, everyone else (who had arrived 15 minutes earlier) had picked out the movie and was ready to check out. So we left. It wasn’t until we were back in the parking lot that I realized First Class Frank was flirting with me. He opened the car door for me. It was such a simple gesture but it meant so much.
We got back to the house and started watching the movie. I got bored by it and went to the kitchen to grab some food. Frank followed. We sat in the kitchen and talked for an hour or so. He was nice and it was obvious he was interested in me.
 But then it got serious. Our late night food raid was interrupted by Paige. Stephan locked himself in the bathroom, crying, which meant I was needed. By the time I got there, Stephan had moved to the office. He had tears streaming down his face. He looked up at me, his phone clutched in his hand. He managed to get some words out of his mouth, “Diane’s been raped.”
Diane was one of my best friends who didn’t get an invite to the party. She and a few other people had made their way to a local college campus. Alcohol had been had and she woke up to find a guy on top of her. Stephen and I decided to go pick her up and bring her to the Emergency Room.
We ran out the door with little goodbyes. The people who needed to know we left knew but didn’t know why. I gave Frank a hug and thanked him for the kitchen company and left.
 Diane was as okay as anyone could be after a situation like that. I hate to mention something so serious in a collection of stories that are so funny but it was a huge event in my life. We had to lie to the doctors so she could be seen and gave the police a report of what we knew. I had never been so scared about the well being of another before. Diane had to be forced to go to the hospital, I felt terrible about it but all of us wanted to know she was alright. She would be, and her story is a happy one now. 
So, enough with the serious stuff.
The next day, I got a call from Frank. He had gotten my number from Paige at the party. He wanted to ask me out. I said yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment