January 18, 2011

Mr. Granola: Round Two, Part Three


*For those reading, I promise there are other guys. The beginning of my love life was dominated by the two men I’ve been writing about. But I promise you, keep reading, more characters will be introduced.

We were all set to leave for our weekend trip. I was thrilled. This was my first overnight trip with a significant other. It was a five hour car ride to the college campus and I was ready of some serious one on one time with Mr. Granola. The beginning of the car ride was a rough one. We left far too late, due to Mr. Granola’s intrusive mother and managed to hit immense amounts of rush-hour traffic. Because of the traffic, meddling mother, and just plain end of week exhaustion, Mr. Granola was snappy and short tempered. I felt like I couldn’t say or do anything right. This was not the way I wanted to be introduced to his friends.
At the half way mark, we stopped to get gas. Mr. Granola went inside to grab something to drink and came out with a pack of cigarettes. As he walked out, he handed me a bottle of water, opened the pack of cigarettes, and lit one. I was stunned. No words could possibly begin to explain the intense fury that I felt in that moment. I had dated Mr. Granola for a total of nine plus months. In all of that time, not once did I know he smoked. Smoking for me is a deal breaker. My grandmother and uncle died from lung cancer and I refuse to be with someone who indulges in that behavior. If you smoke, that is your choice and I have no problem with it. However, if you date me, I can’t tolerate it. Mr. Granola knew this. We had talked about it before and he had been sympathetic. He hid this habit from me for over nine months. What else could he possibly be hiding?
I was without words for the remainder of the car ride. He knew there was an issue, he wasn’t stupid. Mr. Granola asked me what was wrong, though he very obviously knew. I told him the truth; I was upset he’d hidden the fact that he smoked from me. 
“I thought you knew. I never hid it from you,” he responded.
“How come I didn’t know after nine months?”
“I don’t smoke that often, but I have done it for years.”
And just like that the conversation was over.
We continued our trip which felt like it was taking an eternity. We stopped one more time to stretch out legs. This time, no cigarettes. It was pitch black outside the car. Mr. Granola turned to me and said he wanted to show me something. He threw open the sun roof and opened the window.  A freezing breeze blew into the car but that wasn’t why tears came to my eyes. Above me was the most impressive display of stars I have ever seen in my life. Still to this day, I can go back to that moment and see those stars in my mind. Mr. Granola turned to me smiled.
“I’m so sorry I’ve been such a grouch. I promise the rest of this trip will be amazing. I love you,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment