May 23, 2011

Mr. Emo: part three


Our romance was a whirlwind and I’m not quite sure how romantic it actually was but hey, I enjoyed it none the less. Mr. Emo made me step outside my comfort zone. The time came for me to introduce him to my friends and they loved him. He was welcomed by my high school friends at a summer party/reunion that I threw at parent’s house. My mom asked that he not sleep in my bedroom if he spent the night and I agreed.
The party went off smashingly. Everyone had a great time. One of my friends stayed in my room with me but left when Mr. Emo came to wake me up. I was groggy when he started poking me in the side. I looked up at him and saw that there was something tragically wrong. Suddenly he burst into tears. From in between tears I discovered that he had just received a phone call about one of his friends who had overdosed on some kind of serious drug. We sat on the floor of bedroom and talked. Well, he talked, I just sat there listening and trying to figure out what to do. He wanted to go but I knew that he had been drinking. He seemed alright but I wasn’t about to take any chances. He had been drinking, he was really upset, and it was late. Those three things never make for safe driving when combined. I tried to talk him out of leaving and he told me he was going to head to the Waffle House down the street for some food. Mr. Emo promised me he would come back. As he left, I had a bad feeling about things.
Mr. Emo came back with food. We ate in silence on the floor of my bedroom. I didn’t eat much and when he finished with his food he just stared at the wall. Finally he shook his head, looked up at me and told me he needed to leave.
The next few days went by slowly. I didn’t hear much from Mr. Emo. He seemed to need his space and felt like I should give it to him. After a week decided I needed to see him and clear the awkward air. I called him up and he seemed excited that I wanted to come visit him at his parent’s house. Before I made the trek up there, I made a “be happy” cake for him. Maybe it was too much, but he needed to be cheered up and what better way than a cake?
I got up to his parent’s house and it was really good to see him. He loved the cake and we stared to plan our day. He wanted to show me his town. We went to his old high school, his church, and then we did some of the touristy things in the downtown part of his town. We had a blast. Then we went back to his parent’s house and did things we probably shouldn’t have done; at least things that I’m not going write about. It just wouldn’t be decent.
Mr. Emo decided he wanted some cake, so we went back downstairs and broke into the cake. His mood shifted suddenly. He went from happy go lucky to quiet and sulky. He stopped playing with his cake and looked up at me. Then he said it. “I think we should talk… I don’t think we should see each other anymore.”  WTF, seriously? I just drove all the way to your parent’s house after baking you a cake, spent the day sightseeing with you, did the dirty, dirty with you, and now you’re breaking up with me? Dude, you got problems.
So I left. I drove home crying and oh, was I pissed off.  A few weeks later got a call from him. He was threatening suicide on the phone and questioning the purpose of his life. It was more than I could handle and I told him that. I still liked him but this was well beyond anything I wanted to deal with.
He never did hurt himself. Well I don’t actually know that but I do know he’s still alive and based on facebook he’s seeing some girl now and seems happy. Maybe he isn’t the Emo mess he once was.

No comments:

Post a Comment